Treatment For Melasma, Age Spots, And Sun Damage
What is Melasma?
Melasma is a chronic skin disorder that results in symmetrical, blotchy, brownish facial pigmentation.
What causes Melasma?
The cause of melasma is complex. The pigmentation is due to overproduction of melanin by the pigment cells, melanocytes, which is taken up by the keratinocytes (epidermal melanosis) and deposit in the dermis. Melasma commonly arises in healthy non-pregnant adults and can be genetic also.
Known triggers for Melasma
- Sun Damage
- Hormone treatments; Oral centraceptive pills containing Oestrogen and/or progesterone, hormone replacement, intrauterine devices and implants.
- Certain medication (including new targeted therapies for cancer), or scented or deodorant soaps
- Hypothyoroidism (low levels of circulative thyroid hormone).
Who gets Melasma?
Melasma is more common in women than in men; only 1-in-4 to 1-in-20 affected individuals are male. Being pregnant is certainly a joy. But you can be experiencing changes in your skin such as Melasma AKA “MASK OF PREGNANCY”, also very common with Latin/Hispanic, North African, Africa-American, Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern, and Mediterranean descent.
What is the treatment of Melasma?
Melasma can be very slow to respond to treatment.
- Discontinue hormonal contraception.
- Always wear sun protection.
- Use products with tyrosinase inhibitors. Hydroquinone 2-4 % as cream or lotion.
- Azelaic acid cream or lotion (SAFE FOR PREGNANT)
- Kojic acid
- Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)
- Methimazole (Antithyroid drug)
At Beautiful Glow we have treatments to best fit your skin needed. And our professional products from Skin Script were designed and developed under the direction of highly respected physicians and estheticians.
Please contact me to help you with your beautiful glow skin. Thank you :).